Thursday, July 27, 2017

Teacher Tech Tools: Kahoot! Review Revised

So I wrote a blog a couple weeks ago about a list of formative assessment resources. I included a video from Kahoot! and a brief overview. Since then, I have spent more time working with the tool, and I want to update my review. I still think it is a great tool with many possible uses. For example, not only can you create quiz games, there are other options as well. You can create a survey where there is not a correct answer. You can also create a discussion, which limits you to one question, and is for spur-of-the-moment inquiries. The newest option is a jumble, where students must order the options instead of selecting one correct option.

Another cool thing about Kahoot! is that you can upload any image to the Kahoot! question slide. My biggest frustration with Kahoot! so far has been the limited number of characters you can use in the questions of the quizzes. This is very problematic when trying to use a math word problem. However, creating the question on a separate document and taking a screen shot allows you to upload any question. One thing to keep in mind is that the maximum time allowed for answering a quiz question is 120 seconds. Students need enough time to answer, so this also limits how much content you can include.

Kahoot! also has an extensive and well-written FAQs which I found very helpful. Another easy way to get help is to click the comment bubble (circled in red on the picture below). All you have to do is type your question and click next. Then it gives you some possible help topics or the option to send the question on to the help desk. I found what I needed every time from the links they suggested. It was easy and fast. A final way to get help creating an awesome Kahoot! is to check out their blog (underlined in blue with arrow on the picture below). The blog contains tutorials, cool ideas for using Kahoot!, and help with companion tools.

Overall, I think it is a great resource for teachers and one I will keep in my teacher tool box.

(Note to EME6414 folks: Make sure to check out my newest Kahoot in my student work sample for my Produsage Project, coming soon to the discussion board.)

No comments:

Post a Comment