Friday, June 30, 2017

tweedly deedly dee... tweet, tweet

"He rocks in the tree tops all day long
Hoppin' and a-boppin' and singing his song
All the little birdies on Jaybird Street
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet"
(lyrics from Rockin Robin by Bobby Day, written by Leon René under the pseudonym of Jimmie Thomas, 1958)

When I think about Twitter, I always start singing this song in my head. It is one of my all time favorites. It was originally recorded by Bobby Day and was released by Michael Jackson in 1972. (If you haven't heard it before you can check out the original here.)

I actually think this song is fairly appropriate theme song for Twitter for more than the "tweet"s. = )
If you look at the lyrics it talks about how all the birds love to hear the robin's tweets. I think that is fairly true for the people active on Twitter. They love to hear other's tweets and to tweet themselves. I am excited that I have now added my voice to the collective tweets. You can find me on twitter @Ginny7s.

My first tweet was a retweet about 10 critical 21st century skills students need.  I am interested if you think social media and Web 2.0 can help build any of these skills and if so, how? You can respond here on my blog or on Twitter.


I look forward to connecting with you!




4 comments:

  1. I absolutely believe that social media can help build many skills of communication and expression that 20th century students need: concise expression, clear written expression, and many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that one main area where social media can benefit students is in their communication skills. As I look at the skills on the 2020 list, I can see ways that social media would be very beneficial. For example, number four on the list is "people management" and number five on the list is "coordinating with others. Both of these seem like skills that social media can help students develop.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Cathryn. Looking at the 2020 Top 10 Skills, our current Web 2.0 based social media tools can help improve and foster a skill set that involves Creativity, Coordinating with Others, and Service Orientation at the very least. As always, we must consider the context of how these tools are used to develop the above-mentioned skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also agree that context is important. For example, I have spoken to many educators who believe that text messaging and websites like Twitter lead students away from the importance of correct grammar and complete sentences in their written communication skills.

      Delete