Monday, July 31, 2017

Balance and the Mobile Revolution

A video came across my Facebook feed today. After researching the source, it appears the animation I saw was part of a music video between the animator, Steve Cutts, and the musical artists, Moby & The Void Pacific Choir. The video is titled Are You Lost In The World Like Me? 

Here is the link to the original music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASywEuqFd8

Here is the link to the edited version I saw on Facebook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdz4DvDG_gg (It is instrumental and shorter than the original.)

I am not going to lie; the video is depressing. I do not ascribe to such a gloomy outlook or dooms day picture of life in the mobile revolution. But, I do think the video strikes an important note in the discussion on how the mobile revolution is changing our world. It is a great depiction of "absent presence" a term coined by social psychologist Kenneth Gergen and described as being physically in one place and socially in another (Rainie & Wellman, 2013). It is phenomenon we all have experienced on both sides. I know I am guilty of checking a text message during a face-to-face conversation. I also know how frustrating it is when someone does that too me. It is also a great depiction of what can happen with addiction (or lack of balance).

I encourage you to watch the video. I hope it will make you think about how you fit into the mobile revolution. It definitely made me think. It made me wonder, how much am I missing in the world around me because my head is turned down looking at my phone? The video reminded me of the most important lesson I have learned (and continue to learn every day) about life, the importance of balance.

I think that balance is an important aspect of social media use that needs to be taught. There is not a one-size-fits-all measure for how much to use mobile technology or engage in social media. Trying to quantify its use seems silly, as the web 2.0 environment is fairly limitless in its uses and forms. However, teaching about the importance of balance (i.e., not letting your life become like the people in the video), might be the answer.

So, how do you teach about balance? I don't know. Perhaps making lists of how time is spent (e.g., work, sleep, exercise, friends, family, etc...) and then filling in blocks of time on a daily calendar could help.

What do you think? Is balance important to teach (with this mobile revolution we are experiencing globally)? If so, how?

Reference:
Rainie, L. & Wellman, B. (2013). Networked: The new social operating system. Boston, MA: MIT Press. 

No comments:

Post a Comment