Sunday, July 30, 2017

Education and Web 2.0 - Aha Moments and Reflections

When I started the Web 2.0 course this summer, I knew so little about the adventures that lay ahead as I discovered the vast world Web 2.0 encompasses. I have learned about so many new tools, platforms, possibilities... it kind of feels like my head might explode. But it's good; I am just experiencing growing pains. My eyes have been opened to a whole new world of possibilities and resources. And this week, I have had two major "Aha" moments in my Web 2.0 journey.

My first "Aha" moment, relates to the educational uses for Web 2.0 tools. To clarify, I was aware before this week that Web 2.0 tools could be used for education. (I have been studying this for five weeks.) However, in creating my produsage project and viewing many of my classmates projects, it became more real or clearly defined. I realize just how broad (perhaps unlimited) the possibilities for educational uses of Web 2.0 tools can be. Before this course my knowledge of the tools were limited to a small fraction of what exists. Now I feel like my instructional toolbox is overflowing. After this course, I will have to make some decisions about what is going to stay in the toolbox and what needs to move to the tool closet (where the tools I don't use that often live).

The second "Aha" moment can as I checked out OER Commons and MERLOT this week. I cannot believe that I was missing out on so many resources. How did I not know about this before now? I think I could spend days searching through the content within those two platforms. I also realized that I have been stingy with the resources I have created over the past decade as a classroom teacher. I am excited that I can contribute some of my own work to the collective whole and hopefully inspire other teachers with my ideas, as I have been inspired by theirs.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, many an "Aha!" moment in this class:). Merlot and OER are pretty darn cool; I like that you're feeling more open in sharing your resources on these platforms as well!

    ReplyDelete