Friday, July 21, 2017

Social Media Faux Pas?


I have been broadening my social media sphere for several weeks. I sometimes find my self checking my twitter, Facebook, blog, and other accounts at odd times throughout the day. So, the other night when I was having trouble sleeping, I decided to check out Facebook. (I have honestly been on Facebook a lot less lately, as I have been spending more time on other platforms.) As I was scrolling though posts and liking/commenting, I wondered if it was okay for me to respond to someone's post in the middle of the night.
night lightI imagined a person soundly asleep when rudely awakened by their phone's notification sound. Of course, I quickly decided that someone who has the notification sound turned on has made a decision to allow that intrusion. Or, at least that seems like a logical and reasonable deduction. Also isn't one of the best aspects of web 2.0 platforms the ability to communicate asynchronously? I personally pay no attention to when someone communicates with me (unless I am checking to see how recently it occurred).
However, this got me thinking...
Are there social media faux pas? If so, what are they? 

Is there a Miss Manners for social media? (If you don't get the reference, click the name to go to her official website.)

Picture url http://www.glossglam.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/night-light.jpgRetrieved from http://www.glossglam.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/night-light.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I love the asynchronous communication that is enabled by the technologies of today. As far as faux pas, I wish that it would become less acceptable to have heated discussions on social media. It is such a poor form of communication for such a thing! (I'm actually about to write a blog about this.) I have noticed that some people will, in a post-feed conversation, write "I'll message you privately" when the conversation takes a certain turn. Good choice.
    I also think it's a faux pas to inadvertently continue to have a two-person conversation on a post comment feed, or inadvertently give away someone else's private information. I've seen some carelessness there, but I've also witnessed respectfulness and conscientiousness. I think we're all learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Cathryn mentioned, I think a big faux pas is to carry on a personal conversation in someone else's post or with someone else tagged. I've also noticed that sometimes people will tag a celebrity or user on Twitter when the person who crafted the tweet clearly didn't want that person notified of the tweet. For example, I saw someone mention they took issue with a particular scene in Wonder Woman. Another user replied, tagging the director. This is considered a faux pas as it's rude on all accounts (to the tweeter and the director, who surely doesn't need to be notified of every criticism waged against her movie).

    ReplyDelete