Sunday, July 16, 2017

"Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine..."


Image result for finding nemo birds mine images free
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/File:Nemo-Seagulls_.jpg
Anyone who has seen Disney's movie Finding Nemo (2003) is familiar with the chant, "mine, mine, mine..." which is relentlessly recited by the seagulls upon seeing Dory and Marlin hit the marina dock. It is one of my favorite scenes from the movie and is brought to mind by this week's class focus on intellectual property.

In the age of digital connections and shared resources, how can I ensure I keep what is mine?

There are many resources to help individuals and organizations understand and manage content creation. One new resource I have been exposed to this week is Creative Commons. Creative Commons is a non-profit most known for its copyright licenses, but also includes other legal and technical tools that facilitate sharing and reuse of original content. As I get further into my doctoral program, I know this is a resource I will use both to share my work and to reuse the work of others.

Creative Commons helps users identify what license is right for their work. If you have a couple minutes, check out this video from their websites. It is great overview of Creative Commons copyright licenses.             https://vimeo.com/13590841

So far, my favorite part of Creative Commons is the ability to search their site for content. I know when I find something through their site, I can find out how exactly how I am allowed to use it. I do not have to worry about copyright laws. Thanks Creative Commons, for help making my life easier.

What about you? Are you familiar with Creative Commons?


Reference:
Pixar Animation Studios (Producer), Stanton, A. (Director), & Unkrich, L (Director). (2003). Finding Nemo [Motion picture]. United States: Walt Disney Studios

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ginny,

    This is an amazing resource! I have no idea how I did not stumble across this when I was trying to understand the differences between creative commons and copyright. But the video really sums it up by saying "you don't give up your copyright, you refine it." So, people should not be looking at as binary, but instead it should be seen as a spectrum -- allowing varying degrees of freedom to use one's intellectual property.

    For me, I use this flowchart to help guide what I can or cannot use:

    http://langwitches.org/blog/2014/06/10/copyright-flowchart-can-i-use-it-yes-no-if-this-then/

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the flowchart. It is definitely tricky to know what is okay to use and it what ways it is okay to use it.

      Delete
  2. Love this post! I too really like the feature on their site that allows to search for related content to use without worrying that you're illegally sharing content or having to go directly to the source; especially in times when the creator is not listed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random aside -- have you gone to Epcot? They have the "mine" birds outside the Nemo attraction. Cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for many years. That's awesome. I did see the Nemo show at Animal Kingdom and at the end the birds are all saying "bye" in the same manner as they said "mine" in the movie. I laughed out loud, literally as I walked out. Also, it is a great show. I highly recommend it.

      Delete